José de Nebra: Miserere (González)


José de Nebra: Miserere

José de Nebra: Miserere in G minor for 2 voices and ensemble, performed by Olalla Alemán & Raquel Andueza and Los Musicos de su Alteza, Luis Antonio González conducting.

Verses in plainchant are omitted in this recording.

To listen while following the text, right-click here, then left-click on "Open in New Window." Arrange windows. To listen to the entire work, click on first movement or choose desired movement. (We7 introduces every movement with a brief audio announcement.)


Psalm 50

3
Miserere mei, Deus, * secundum magnam misericordiam tuam.

Have mercy on me, O God, * according to Thy great mercy.

4 Amplius lava me ab iniquitate mea * et a peccato meo munda me.
Wash me from my iniquity; * and cleanse me of my sin.


6 Tibi, soli peccavi et malum coram te feci; * ut iustificeris in sermonibus tuis, et vincas cum iudicaris.
Against Thee alone have I sinned and done evil in Thy sight; * that Thou mayest be justified in Thy sentence and mayest overcome when judged.

8 Ecce enim veritatem dilexisti * incerta et occulta sapientiae tuae manifestasti mihi.
For behold, Thou hast loved truth, * and the uncertain and hidden things of Thy wisdom Thou hast shown me.

10 Auditui meo dabis gaudium et laetitiam, * et exultabunt ossa humiliata. Thou shalt make me hear of joy and gladness, * and the bones Thou hath crushed shall rejoice.

12 Cor mundum crea in me, Deus, * et spiritum rectum innova in visceribus meis.
Create in me a clean heart, O God, * and renew a steadfast spirit within me.

14 Redde mihi laetitiam salutaris tui * et spiritu principali confirma me.
Restore unto me the joy of Thy salvation, * and strengthen me with Thy spirit.

16 Libera me de sanguinibus, Deus, Deus salutis meae, * et exultabit lingua mea iustitiam tuam.
Deliver me from blood guilt, O God, the God of my salvation * , and my tongue shall extol Thy justice.

18 Quoniam si voluisses sacrificium, dedissem utique, * holocaustis non delectaberis. For if Thou didst desire sacrifice, I would have indeed given it, * with a burnt offering Thou art not pleased.

19 Sacrificium Deo spiritus contribulatus, * cor contritum et humiliatum, Deus, non despicies.
A sacrifice to God is an afflicted spirit, * a contrite and humbled heart, O God, Thou shalt not despise.

21 Tunc acceptabis sacrificium iustitiae, oblationes et holocausta; * tunc imponent super altare tuum vitulos.

Then shalt Thou accept the sacrifice of justice, oblations and whole burnt offerings, * then shall they lay calves upon Thy altar.