Michael Nyman: Miserere

To Listen to Michael Nyman, Miserere, from the film, The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover, performed by Paul Chapman, treble soloist; London Voices, Terry Edwards conducting, while following the text, right-click here, the left-click on "Open in New Window." Then arrange windows.

Have mercy upon me
Have mercy upon me
blot out my transgressions
blot out my transgressions
Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: wash me, wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.

Miserere mei
Miserere mei, Deus: secundum magnam misericordiam tuam.
Have mercy upon me, O God, according to thy loving kindness:
Et secundum multitudinem miserationum tuarum, dēlē iniquitatem meam.
Have mercy upon me, O God, according to thy loving kindness:
According to thy tender mercies blot out my transgressions.
Amplius lavā me ab iniquitate mea: et peccato meo mundā me.
Quoniam iniquitatem meam ego cognōscō: et peccatum meum contra me est semper.
For I acknowledge my transgressions: and my sin is ever before me.
Against thee, thee only, have I sinned, and done this evil in thy sight:

Wash me throughly from mine iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin.

For I acknowledge my transgressions: and my sin is ever before me.
Against thee, thee only, have I sinned, and done this evil in thy sight:

Have mercy upon me
blot out my transgressions

Asperges me, hyssopo, et mundābor: lavābis me, et super nivem dēalbābor.
Asperges me, hyssopo, et mundābor: lavābis me, et super nivem dēalbābor.

Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: wash me, wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.
Make me to hear joy and gladness; that the bones which thou hast broken may rejoice.

that thou mightest be justified when thou speakest, and be clear when thou judgest.
Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me.
Behold, thou desirest truth in the inward parts: and in the hidden part thou shalt make me to know wisdom.

Hide thy face from my sins, and blot out all mine iniquities.
Hide
Hide
Hide
Hide

Have mercy upon me, according to thy loving kindness:
secundum multitudinem miserationum tuarum, dēlē iniquitatem meam.
that the bones thou hast broken may rejoice.

Create in me a clean heart, and renew a right spirit within me.
Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me.

Cor mundum crea in me, Deus: et spiritum rectum innova in visceribus meis.
Ne projicias me a facie tua: et spiritum sanctum tuum ne auferas a me.
Redde mihi laetitiam salutaris tui: et spiritu principali confirma me.

Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit.
Then will I teach transgressors thy ways; and sinners shall be converted unto thee.

Unto thee

Deliver me from bloodguiltiness, O God, my tongue shall sing aloud of thy righteousness.
Have mercy upon me
blot out my transgressions
O Lord, open thou my lips; and my mouth shall shew forth thy praise.
and my mouth shall shew forth thy praise.
and my mouth shall shew forth thy praise.
and my mouth shall shew forth thy praise
.